Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Leedurchip Etheks Reeflekshun

Pat Dobel taught our final class on Leadership Ethics in the spring of 2011. The class topics were very interesting and some of the material truly had my mind engaged. However, I did not care for the emphasis on one book by Joe Badaracco, called Leading Quietly. Pat was a great teacher and had a lot of great things to say, and I saw no need o rely so much on another academia's book. In addition to the reliance on this particular text, I thought the book was difficult to decipher and unnecessarily cloudy.

One lesson we had that I thought was interesting was given in a lesson by Ed Taylor. He spoke to the class during our executive weekend in Seattle, and I believe moved the class in a very positive way. He asked, and answered, the question "is this endeavor worth the trouble?". His resounding answer was yes, and for so many reasons I cannot state them all. However, I will say that his reasoning fit well with most of the people in class, and gave us all something to think about going forward. For me personally, I think the success of one student-athlete, in an honest and ethical way, is enough to justify working in this field. I think Mr. Taylor may have come to the same answer.

No comments:

Post a Comment